Part 3: Casting Cares
This material was developed by practicingtheway.org. Visit their website for more information.
1. Create for yourself a quiet space to meet with God.
Set aside a modest time on a particular day (we estimate this will take 1-2 hours) to be alone with God. Find a time and place that is quiet and distraction free.
2. Invite the Holy Spirit to come.
Now ask Him to show you areas of personal or relational fear/anxiety. Next, ask Him to show you areas of fear/anxiety associated with the present or future. Take your time and wait on the Holy Spirit.
Ask the Father to reveal any areas of unbelief in your life where you don't believe the Father will care for you.
3. Write: Jot down and list these anxieties/fears down on a piece of paper. Take a few minutes to reflect on what you have written.
4. Pray: Pray and visualize yourself with the Father, and then, one by one, imagine giving (handing) each anxiety to Jesus.
This exercise should create a mental snapshot of Jesus doing exactly what He says He will do (Ps. 55:22; Matt. 6:25-26). By handing Jesus your anxieties you are expressing your trust in His ability to take care of you.
5. Release: Once you’ve given all of your anxieties to Jesus in prayer, rip up each anxiety you wrote down and throw it away. This symbolizes that the anxiety has been given to Jesus and that you are now released from the weight and responsibility of the burden.